Thursday 25 October 2012

Halloween cupcakes

Hello, sorry for the long absence, I've been feeling a lack of blogging mojo for various reasons. Anyway, for halloween this year I thought I'd try making some pumpkin cupcakes. I adapted the following recipe from the PETA cookbook The Compassionate Cook. The main changes were Britishing the measurements, using self-raising flour (anyone know why this isn't used Stateside? *curious*), making cupcakes rather than a whole cake and of course introducing pumpkin into an applesauce cake recipe. I haven't tasted one yet but they seem to have turned out ok. This made 18 cakes - made as a whole cake it's meant to serve 9 to 12.

Ingredients:
4oz/110g margarine
5oz apple sauce (I made mine by putting cooked apple through the smoothie blender)
4oz pumpkin puree (same method but the pumpkin needed to cook for way longer, maybe 40mins)
[I don't know how to divide up the gram weight, but the apple and pumpkin together should add up to 252g]
10oz self-raising flour
8oz sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg (original recipe called for half this)
1/2 teaspoon ginger (not in original)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C/350F
Melt margarine on the stove or in the microwave
Mix together the flour, sugar and spices
Mix the apple and pumpkin in with the melted margarine and add to the dry ingredients
Pour into cupcake trays and bake for 15-20 minutes.

I used this conversion guide for everything apart from the apple and pumpkin, can't remember where I looked that up.

No comments: